Who doesn’t want to live a longer life? A life that is free from premature diseases and unnecessary tensions is what everyone wants. But not everyone of us is aware how much our life could change for the better if we realize the importance of healthy living. Leading an unhealthy lifestyle has massive drawbacks and has been much highlighted at present as we see the average life expectancy of an unhealthy person steadily decreasing over the years. Unlike older generations that lived till the age of 100 because of an active lifestyle and nutritious diet, the younger generations of today come face to face with serious health related issues such as cardiovascular diseases at a very early age, sometimes as soon as 30. The reason for this is simple; People today are more focused on the importance of wealthy living than the importance of healthy living. Being part of the rat race to earn more money at the cost of their health, they forget how much damage a sedentary lifestyle and poor eating habits can cause. Let’s remind ourselves why it is so important to adopt healthy lifestyle habits to achieve optimal mental and physical well being.
Understanding the importance of healthy living
- You look and feel much more attractive. Bulges of fat around the abdomen is a major turn off for most people. Whereas a person with a slim athletic built appears very attractive because he believes in eating healthy and considers regular exercise a fundamental part of his life. Being in shape will always make you look great in any type of clothes and exercising regularly will also give you more confidence and enhanced energy levels. So you can evaluate the importance of healthy living and having a fit body yourself.
- Improves your immune system to fight off diseases. A body with a compromised immune system is like a house without a roof. Even the smallest infection can wreak havoc on the body which is why it is crucial to understand the importance of healthy living. Leading an active lifestyle with frequent exercise and nutritious diet gives your body the power to resist the attacks from infections and diseases. When you are disease free and have a strong immune system there is nothing that can stop you from leading a long and fulfilling life.
- It will reduce stress and sharpen brain cells. The importance of healthy living is also evident from the fact that people who lead an unhealthy lifestyle are often much more stressed and prone to falling sick. If you consciously make an effort to eat right and engage in physical activity on a daily basis, your stress hormone levels will automatically reduce, giving you more brain power to handle challenging situations at work or home. When you exercise regularly the brain releases a reward chemical called dopamine, which can also help to fight other harmful addictions by reducing the dependency on those things.
- It will inculcate discipline in life. When you know the importance of healthy living you make certain changes to your lifestyle and daily routine. You become aware that in order to get long lasting health benefits you will have to maintain consistency with your diet and exercise schedule. You will follow a workout regimen and a guided diet plan on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.This will not only introduce discipline in practices that promote good health and well being, it will also inculcate regulation and a sense of control in all other aspects of your life.
- You can perform better in any field. When you are at your best, you can give your best. Physically, mentally and spiritually you can accomplish any task you have set your mind to when you are healthy. The importance of healthy living is reflected in all dimensions of your life, be it work related or family related. Having a strong body with a sharp mind empowers you to take up any work that demands stamina or intelligence. Whether it is an unusually difficult target at the office or a demanding family matter at home, you will only be able to give your hundred percent when you are healthy and fit.
The importance of healthy living and its priority in life can have different meanings for different people. But no one can deny that if we make certain improvements to the way we live, we can see consequential, long lasting benefits to ensure that we live a healthy and long life. In the end it all comes down to the choices we make during eating and how we spend our time physically. After all, being healthy isn’t just a goal, it is a way of living.